Friday, March 14, 2014

My first sit-on-top fishing kayak!

The Perception Sport Pescador 12.0 Angler. After looking at my budget and comparing all the kayaks within the price range, this was a no brainer. Using the pre-2009 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 mold, the Pescador 12 is based on a proven mold. The kayak has two flush mount rod holders, Scotty rod holder up front, a decent seat, and a 3lb. anchor. For $600 shipped from Amazon.com I would still have plenty of money to rig before I even get to the cost of similarly outfitted name brand models.

FEBRUARY 18, 2014 - DELIVERY DAY!
I hear the rumbling of the freight truck pull up in front of my house. Excitement rushes over me just like a kid on Christmas morning. I go outside to greet the delivery man. I see that the kayak is wrapped very loosely in plastic, not a good sign I thought. I have the delivery guy help me lift the kayak and place it onto my DIY PVC kayak stand to inspect the kayak and didn't let him leave until everything checked out.

-Checked the hull for any cracking or deep gouges = checks out fine
-Checked the scupper holes for any signs of cracks/damage = checks out fine
-Checked the inside for any signs of cracks/damage = checks out fine
-Tugged firmly on all handles bungees to ensure all hardware was secured tightly = checks out fine
-Checked all accessories for damage = checks out fine
-Checked to make sure all included accessories were present = DOH!

The Scotty Rod holder was missing the screw that holds the rod holder to the base!!!

It wasn't a huge deal, so I signed the paperwork and accepted the package. I immediately called Amazon and let them know the situation. The attempted to contact the kayak manufacturer, but could not get through. Amazon customer service was extremely pleasant to work with and resolved this matter beyond expectation. I received a $54 credit for the missing screw. The missing screw was a $4 item, so with the $54 credit the cost of my kayak shipped to my door was now...drum roll please...$550. Not bad considering the cheapest boutique brand 12-foot kayak was starting in the $700 + tax range.




No comments:

Post a Comment