Monday, March 31, 2014

Rigging

After my maiden voyage at Quarry Lakes on March 9, 2014 I came to the realization that I needed to customize the Pescador a little to better suit my needs. The single Scotty rod holder up front was okay, but I wanted the ability to troll with two rods. The kayak does have two rear flush mounts, but I want to be able to see the rod tips and grab the poles easier when they go bend-o.

My solution:
-(2) 4" lengths of YakAttack GT90 gear trac
-(2) 4" lengths GT90 full back
-(2) Scotty 426 Side Slide Track Adapters
-(1) additional Scotty Baitcaster rod holder

I decided to cut the a small section of the foot peg rails to install the gear trac in the optimal position. The Scotty 426 side slide strack adapters allowed me to have a vertical Scotty base to mount the rod holders to. With the backing the setup feels solid.



With the two rod holders in place, next up was a depth finder. After a ton of research I decided on the Lowrance Mark 4 DSI unit. I wanted a unit with GPS and down scann imaging, for the price and features this unit cannot be beat. $150 shipped to my door! Finding a spot to mount the unit was easy. I used the existing Scotty base, used a RAM ball wedge adapter, and installed the RAM mount for Lowrance fish finders. This placed the unit at a nice height while still allowing use of the cup holder.

Trying to figure out the transducer was a little more difficult. I originally planned to do a DIY scupper mount using 3/4" aluminum flat bar. I had it rigged up, but could not get the transducer to stay in place. I then decided to fabricate an arm mount using the same 3/4" aluminum flat bar and attached it to the gear track.





I ran the cabling up the arm, laid it on top of the foot peg rails, and zip tied it in place. For cabling thru hull I used the Hobie thru hull wiring kit. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out. I can remove the transducer/mount and throw it in the yak during transport.



Other modifications:
-Velcro to attach my watertight plano box to the center console in the foot well.
-GT175 gear trac at the stern for a future GoPro mount and Scotty Sea-Light with flag and pole.









No comments:

Post a Comment